Corregidor is a tadpole-shaped rock island located at the entrance of Manila Bay in southwestern part of Luzon in the Philippines. Located 48 kilometers inland, Manila has been the largest city and the most important seaport in the Philippines for centuries- from the colonial rules of Spain, United States and Japan. Corregidor is also known as "The Rock" because of its rocky landscape and it served as the major defense of Philippine's Allies during World War II.
Corregidor (Fort Mills) is the largest of the islands that formed the harbor defenses of Manila Bay, together with El Fraile Island, Caballo Island, and Carabao Island which were all secured during the American occupation in the country.
When the Japanese Army invaded Luzon from the north (at Lingayen Gulf) in early 1942, and attacked Manila from its landward side, the military force under the command of Gen. Douglas McArthur carried out a delaying action at Bataan, west of Manila Bay. Although, Bataan fell on April 9, 1942 the Philippine and American forces held out at Corregidor for 27 days against great odds. Between December 24, 1941 and February 19, 1942, Corregidor became the temporary location for the Government of the Philippines. On December 30, 1941, outside the Malinta Tunnel, Manuel Quezon and Sergio Osmena were inaugurated as President and Vice President of the Philippines Commonwealth for the second term. Gen. Douglas MacArthur used Corregidor as Allied headquarters until March 11, 1942.
Here are some pictures when we visited Corregidor:.
Inside the Malinta Tunnel